Recipients receive $10,000 to assist with professional and classroom development
Fort Lauderdale, Fla (April 12, 2018) – Seven outstanding faculty members were recently honored with the 2018 Broward College Foundation Endowed Teaching Chair Awards, receiving a total of $70,000 in awards.
The program, now in its 27th year, is funded by businesses and donors who provide grants to fund one year of professional development and projects to improve classroom excellence and efficiency for deserving faculty. The awardees were selected following an in-depth review of their professional work by a panel of their peers.
"We are delighted to honor these seven exceptional faculty members whose dedication to educational excellence enriches the lives of our students and contributes to their success," said Broward College President J. David Armstrong, Jr. as he surprised each recipient during their classes. "The Endowed Teaching Awards are extremely meaningful as they are decided by faculty peers and supported by generous South Florida businesses and donors."
The 2018 Broward College Foundation Endowed Teaching Chair Award recipients:
- Lidia Berbeci, Emil Buehler Endowed Teaching Chair - Assistant Professor in the Physics Department, Broward College South Campus
- Robert Gallagher, Southeast Banking Corp. Foundation Endowed Teaching Chair - Assistant Professor
Social & Behavioral Sciences & Human Services Department, Broward College South Campus
- Dyanne Martin, John S. and James L. Knight Foundation Endowed Teaching Chair - Assistant Professor, English
Department at Broward College North Campus
- Lisa Rockford, A. Hugh Adams Endowed Teaching Chair - Assistant Professor Art Department, Broward College North Campus
- Yvonne Simone, Wanda Thomas Endowed Teaching Chair - Instructor Cardio Department, Broward College North Campus
- Lynn Slossberg, Sun Sentinel Endowed Teaching Chair - Assistant Professor Business Department, Broward College South Campus
- Jillian Wojcik, Stephen C. Barker Endowed Teaching Chair - Assistant Professor Behavior, Broward College Cypress Creek Admin Center
For more information about Broward College and its outstanding faculty, please visit www.broward.edu.
– BC –
About Broward College:
Serving more than 63,000 students annually, Broward College provides residents with certificate programs, two-year university-transfer degrees, two-year career degrees and baccalaureate degrees in selected programs. The mission of the college is to provide high-quality educational programs and services that are affordable and accessible to a diverse community of learners. For more information, visit www.broward.edu.
About The Broward College Foundation:
The Broward College Foundation is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization and the officially designated means of making private, charitable contributions to Broward College. Its purpose is to change lives through education by providing community awareness, advocacy and funding to the College. Members of the Foundation's volunteer board of directors work closely with the College's Office of Advancement to raise money to support scholarships, academic programs and learning facility enhancements. They believe every person who is determined to change their life through the pursuit of higher education should be afforded that opportunity. For more information, visit www.broward.edu/foundation or call 954-201-7414.