Recipients awarded at College-wide Employee Recognition Celebration on May 5
Fort Lauderdale, Fla (May 8, 2017) – On Friday, May 5 Broward College recognized ten outstanding faculty members as Professors and Adjunct Professors of the Year during the annual Employee Recognition Celebration held at Bailey Hall on the A. Hugh Adams Central Campus in Davie, Fla. The annual award is given to innovative, talented educators who not only excel in the classroom but inspire students, impact their lives in a meaningful way, and serve as role models for colleagues across the College.
"Our recognition by the Aspen Institute as one of the top three colleges in the nation is a result of our outstanding faculty and their dedication to our students," said Broward College President J. David Armstrong, Jr. "The fact that this award is driven by a student- and peer-led selection process speaks to the lasting impact of these special professors. We are proud to award these ten faculty who embody the mission, vision, and passion of our College in their classrooms and with their students."
The selection process included nominations from students and a rigorous review process by a committee on each campus. Honored faculty and adjunct professors represent each of the four main Broward College locations: Broward College Online and Willis Holcombe Center, Broward College North Campus, A. Hugh Adams Central Campus, and Judson A. Samuels South Campus.
The 2017 Professors and Adjunct Professors of the Year are:
Broward College North Campus
- Professor of the Year – Ms. Dina V. Durand, Associate Professor of Business
- Adjunct Professor of the Year – Ms. Bonnie Flory, Adjunct Professor of Sociology
- Adjunct Professor of the Year – Mr. Stuart Horowitz, Adjunct Professor of Business
A. Hugh Adams Central Campus
- Professor of the Year – Dr. Vanessa Hormann, Assistant Biology Professor
- Professor of the Year – Mr. Michael Fenick, Associate Professor of Business Administration
- Adjunct Professor of the Year – Ms. Susan Frandsen, Adjunct Professor Mathematics
Judson A. Samuels South Campus
- Professor of the Year – Mr. Robert Gallagher, Assistant Professor of Sociology
- Adjunct Professor of the Year – Dr. Martin Green, Adjunct Professor of Health and Wellness
Broward College Online and Willis Holcombe Center
- Adjunct Professor of the Year – Dr. Shereffa Clarke, Adjunct Biology Professor
- Adjunct Professor of the Year – Mr. Kevin Coakley, Adjunct Professor of Political Science
In addition, the event recognized several faculty and staff members for their years of service. The College is fortunate to have many employees and faculty who have made a lasting impact on its history including Susan Edelstein, associate dean of Academic Affairs; Paul Rybak, supervisor in the Energy Management Systems Physical Plant; James Reasbeck, coordinator for Campus Facilities who celebrated 35 years; and Patricia Joyce, assistant professor in the English department who celebrated 45 years.
For more information about the outstanding faculty at Broward College, please visit www.Broward.edu.
About Broward College:
Serving more than 63,000 students annually, Broward College offers certificate programs, two-year university-transfer degrees, two-year career degrees and baccalaureate degrees in selected programs. The mission of the college is to provide high-quality educational programs and services that are affordable and accessible to a diverse community of learners. For more information, visit www.broward.edu.