|Think you don’t need a cover letter to accompany your resume? Think again! Many employers do not consider applicants who apply without a cover letter.
A cover letter is your opportunity to inform the employer of the type of position you are seeking and how you are qualified for the position. A well-written cover letter can give the employer a glimpse at your personality. So go ahead, write that perfect cover letter by using the following tips:
- Each cover letter you send should be original. Taylor it to each job you are applying for. It must be addressed to a particular company as well as a particular individual. Make sure to mention the job title you are applying for.
- Write the cover letter in standard business-letter format.
- Clearly state why you are writing the letter.
- Clearly state skills and experiences relevant to the position. Be creative ... don’t just rewrite your resume.
- Make sure you invite the employer to interview you. Include numbers where you can be reached.
- Make sure there are no spelling or grammatical errors.
- Make sure the cover letter is no longer than one page.