What is TRIO?
TRIO Programs (TRIO) are historical federally funded outreach and student services programs designed to identify and help low-income individuals, first-generation college students, individuals with disabilities and veterans progress through the academic pipeline from middle school to graduate degree programs.
|FUN FACT: TRIO is not an acronym, but refers to the original three TRIO programs! The first three TRIO programs were Upward Bound (1964), Talent Search (1965), and Student Support Services (1968). Since then, TRIO has grown to eight programs. |
TRIO programs include:
- Upward Bound
- Upward Bound Math-Science
- Veterans Upward Bound
- Talent Search
- Student Support Services
- Educational Opportunity Centers
- Ronald E. McNair Post baccalaureate Achievement Program
- Training Program for Federal TRIO Programs Staff
TRIO Programs at Broward College
Currently, Broward College hosts two of the eight TRIO programs.
Educational Opportunity Center
Broward College is the recipient of a U.S. Department of Education TRIO Educational Opportunity Center (EOC) grant. The EOC serves Broward County adults, ages 19 and up, who want to enter or continue a program of postsecondary education. The EOC also serves high school seniors at five target high schools: Hallandale High School, McArthur High School, Stranahan High School, Dillard High School and Coconut Creek High School. The goal of the program is to increase the number of Broward County adults who continue onto postsecondary (college) programs.
1) Provide services to 1,000 participants per year
2) Promote postsecondary education in target areas within Broward County
2) Assist with the completion of admission applications for postsecondary education institutions
3) Assist with the completion of financial aid applications
4) Refer participants to resources to prepare for college entrance or tutoring services
5) Refer participants to partnership programs that can assist with the removal of life barriers that may compete with the desire to continue onto college
For more information on services, eligibility and how to become a participant, please visit the Educational Opportunity Center section of the website.
*The Broward Educational Opportunity Center is 100% funded by the US Department of Education.
The grant award for 2018-2019 is $236,396. Services are free.
Broward College is the recipient of three U.S. Department of Education TRIO Upward Bound (UB) grants that serve high school students at Deerfield Beach High School, McArthur High School, and South Broward High School. The program is designed to assist up to 60 students at each school who want to pursue studies after high school.
1) Identify 60 participants per year for 5 years at Deerfield Beach, McArthur and South Broward High schools
2) Improve academic performance
3) Improve performance on standardized tests
4) Increase secondary school retention & graduation
5) Increase rigor of secondary school program of study
6) Increase postsecondary enrollment
7) Increase postsecondary completion
For more information on services, eligibility and how to contact the program, please visit the Upward Bound section of the website.
*The Broward College Upward Bound programs are 100% funded by the US Department of Education.
The grant awards for 2018-2019 are $257,500 for each grant. Services are free.