Are you interested in a career in healthcare but direct patient care is not for you? The AS degree in Health Services Management is designed for students who hope to work in in the administrative areas of the health care field. Positions can be found in hospitals, clinics, insurance companies, pharmaceutical firms, and doctor’s offices. Health Services Management professionals have little or no direct patient contact, but provide service "behind the scenes." The curriculum is intended to prepare students to enter the upper division courses in a Health Services Administration program.
Health Service Managers may manage an entire facility, a specific clinical area or department, or a medical practice for a group of physicians. Medical and health services managers must adapt to changes in healthcare laws, regulations, and technology.
Medical and health services managers typically do the following:
- Improve efficiency and quality in delivering healthcare services
- Develop departmental goals and objectives
- Ensure that the facility in which they work is up-to-date on and compliant with laws and regulations
- Recruit, train, and supervise staff members
- Manage the finances of the facility, such as patient fees and billing
- Create work schedules
- Prepare and monitor budgets and spending to ensure departments operate within funding limits
- Represent the facility at meetings or on governing boards
- Keep and organize records of the facility’s services
- Communicate with members of the staff and department heads
The program covers a broad spectrum of medical, administrative, financial, and managerial knowledge to provide you with a diverse education that will prepare you for work in the healthcare management field.
With your degree, you could become qualified to work in any number of healthcare-related settings, including hospitals, long-term care facilities, clinics, and public health organizations. Or, you could find employment working for the healthcare department of a local, state, or federal government agency.
Face-to-Face Information Sessions for Health Services Management
Wednesday, April 17, 2019 11:15am-12:15am Building 8, Room 140
Wednesday, May 15,
11: 15 -12:15 Building 8, Room 140
Monday, June 17 11:15
am – 12:30 pm Building 8, Room 140
All INFORMATION SESSIONS BEGIN PROMPTLY ON THE DESIGNATED DATES AND TIMES
If you are unable to attend a face to face session, we offer an alternative Virtual Online Information Session that may be more convenient for you.Please fill out the virtual form to receive an email with virtual information on the program. Coming to a face to face information session is HIGHLY recommended.
Sign up for a Virtual Information Session