Eligibility and Benefit Processing

Students must be approved by the Department of Veteran Affairs to use VA benefits prior to submitting a certification request to our office.

The application for VA benefits and other educational benefits is available online. After the VA has processed your request, you will receive a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) by mail indicating the chapter benefit you are eligible for, the percentage, and the length of time you have to use it. All new students at Broward College will be required to provide a COE prior to requesting certification of enrollment. Students who used their GI Bill® at another institution or provided it in the past can provide proof of eligibility by taking a screenshot of the remaining entitlement through your eBenefits portal.

Specific procedures are followed by the Veterans Services staff to remain compliant with the Department of Veteran Affairs.

We begin processing certifications 60 days before the semester begins. As a Veteran or Veteran dependent, you are eligible for Veterans' Preference (early registration) so you can choose your classes before we are able to certify your enrollment.

For our office to submit enrollment to the VA for payment, you must be enrolled in courses for the term you are requesting.

**If you are enrolled in an ATF course (with the exception of ATF1100) use the Aviation form**

Please be advised that your courses must be required for your program of study. It is strongly advised you speak with an Academic Advisor to ensure any courses you are registered for are applicable to avoid delays in your enrollment certification being processed

Anyone using VA benefits must complete an electronic certification request form for VA Benefits to be processed at Broward College. This certification request process allows Veterans to upload all necessary documents, from anywhere using the Broward College website. The certification request must be completed each term for benefits to be certified with the VA.

The certification request form can only be submitted once per term. If there is a change in your enrollment status after your certification request has been submitted, please email veterans@broward.edu. Please include your name and student ID in all emails.

Please review the charts below as a guide to help you maximize your BAH each semester. You must be enrolled in a minimum of 12 credits during the Fall and Spring terms, and 9 credits during the Summer term to be eligible for full-time enrollment. This applies to VA benefits only. If you are eligible for the Pell Grant, you would still need to be enrolled in 12 credits to be considered for full-time Pell.

Fall and Spring Semesters
Option 1 Option 2 Option 3
12 credits session 1 6 credits session 1
3 credits session 2
3 credits session 4
6 credits session 2
6 credits session 4

One class must be remote delivery throughout the semester in order to receive BAH at the standard rate. Taking all online classes will result in a reduced BAH payment - the current rate is $817.00 per month.

Summer Semester
Option 1 Option 2 Option 3
9 credits session 1 3 credits session 1
3 credits session 2
3 credits session 3
4 credits session 2
4 credits session 3

One class must be resident (on-campus) or remote delivery throughout the semester to receive BAH at the standard rate. Taking all online classes will result in a reduced BAH payment - the current rate is $817.00 per month.

Veterans in-state tuition waiver

If you do not qualify for Florida residency, you may be eligible for an out-of-state waiver for Veterans. You must provide a copy of your DD214 (member 4) and one of the following items:

  • Florida voter's registration card.
  • Florida driver's license (licenses from any other state must be relinquished).

Each benefit provides different funding based on enrollment status and is updated each year by the VA.

It is important to pay attention to the sessions you are enrolled in since it will affect your monthly payments from the VA. For example, if you are enrolled in 6 credits for Session 1 and 6 credits in Session 4, your monthly housing allowance will not be at the full-time rate until Session 4 courses begin.

The VA requires we report when a veteran withdraws from a course, graduates from a program, or fails to meet Satisfactory Academic Progress. Any of these changes can impact the payments made to you by the VA and may result in an overpayment of benefits. If you receive an overpayment notification from the VA, it is your responsibility to pay the debt owed to them directly.

Did you know you may be eligible to receive financial aid in addition to your VA benefits?  All veterans are encouraged to utilize both VA benefits and financial aid while attending school.  For more information please review the application process online.

Post-9/11 GI Bill® students who receive Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) payments are required to verify their enrollment to continue receiving their payments.

Students who receive Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) payments will have their payments withheld if they fail to verify or report that they are no longer enrolled in their courses or training. To streamline the process, the VA is providing the option to verify enrollment easily and securely via text message.

How do I verify enrollment?

You can verify enrollment using the following methods:

Via Text Message
  • Opt in: Students with a U.S. mobile phone number can use text messages as a simple, quick option for verifying monthly enrollment. As your enrollment approaches, you will receive the following opt-in text: "Post-9/11 GI Bill housing payments now require monthly enrollment verification. Would you like to submit yours via text? Please reply YES or NO." Reply "YES" to opt in. The text message link will expire 14 days after receipt, so please respond within that time frame.
  • Verify: After opting in, you can verify your enrollment every month simply by responding to the following text message from VA: "Did you remain enrolled in your courses in MON YYYY as certified? Please reply YES or NO. If you have dropped all your courses, you must reply NO." Reply "YES" to verify enrollment for the previous month.

If you are unable to verify via text, you will need to contact the ECC at 1-888-GIBILL-1 (1-888-442-4551) and ask a representative to verify your enrollment. Read more information regarding enrollment verification.

Contact Us

We are here to help!