English for Academic Purposes (EAP) program is an ideal option for degree-seeking students. The program offers English language courses that are designed to prepare non-native speakers for a degree program at Broward College. The EAP program consists of fifteen courses in three main skill-areas: Grammar & Writing, Listening & Speaking, and Reading & Vocabulary.
EAP courses offer developmental credits (and in some cases elective credits) under a structured academic program geared towards preparing students for a degree. Since the EAP program focuses on developing academic-level proficiency, prospective students should have at least some basic understanding of English prior to enrolling in courses.
In this program you will:
- Develop the academic language skills needed to succeed at the U.S. degree or post graduate level.
- Enhance academic reading, writing, grammar, listening, speaking, and vocabulary skills, and strategies necessary for success in college and university coursework.
- Write and read a variety of scholarly materials and learn how to increase your ability to analyze and manage those materials.
- Become accustomed to a U.S. academic environment, with the goal of transitioning into specific career goals.
- Improve oral communication skills needed to communicate effectively with classmates and professional contacts in group discussions and oral presentations.
- Pronounce standard American English for both production and comprehension purposes.
Steps to enroll:
- Visit the Broward College website
- Complete an
online application for admission.
- Submit official high school diploma and transcripts from colleges attended beyond high school
- Pay application fee $35 (for U.S. citizens and permanent resident aliens).
- Complete and submit the following documentation to the Admissions Office at any campus or Center: A completed
Residency Affidavit and a minimum of
two documents proving Florida residency (Supporting documentation determined by the Florida Legislature)
- Sign up and take the Levels of English Proficiency Test (LOEP) for placement.
- Apply for financial aid
Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)—use school code 001500.
- Contact us -
North Campus: 954-201-2385,
Central Campus: 954-201-6558,
South Campus: 954-201-8904/8259.
- International students (F-1 visa) have different admissions requirements. Contact the International Student Services Office (ISSO) at ISSO@broward.edu or 954-201-7228 if interested in receiving an I-20 to apply for the F-1 student visa or to do a change of immigration status in the United States or if transferring the I-20 to Broward College. Visit www.broward.edu/ISSO for international admissions information.