Live Chat
Sign In

FAQs - Honors

Applying to the Robert "Bob" Elmore Honors College

Where can I get an application form and what are the deadlines?

​You can apply for admission to The Robert "Bob" Elmore Honors College at any time—there is no deadline. You can fill out an application online from the Important Forms page, or you can also obtain an application from one of the Campus Honors Coordinators

What are the eligibility requirements to apply?

There are many ways to be eligible to apply:

  1. Completion of 6 college-credits with a 3.5 Overall/Honors GPA (GPA is based on college-level courses only)
  2. High School Graduation and Test Scores:
    • 1170 SAT score (minimum 550 in reading and math with no remedial classes required)
    • 22 Composite ACT score (min of 21 English, 22 Reading, 21 Math)
    • Pert: Reading 113, Math 123, Writing 123
  3. Proof of completion of a Home School program with test scores listed above. Please contact admissions for more information.
  4. GED diploma with top 1-2% GED test score (3,500 or higher, based on test percentiles on your diploma) 
Can AS degree seeking students apply?

AS degree seeking students are encouraged to apply! Requirements for AS degree seeking students are the same as the requirements for the AA degree seeking student. Contact your campus coordinator for more information.

What are the advantages of joining The Robert "Bob" Elmore Honors College?

There are numerous benefits to student who join! Here are a few:

  • Honors Classes (small, seminar style, dynamic, enjoyable)
  • Honors College scholarships
  • Academic Distinction
  • Wear Honors Cords at the Commencement Ceremony
  • Transfer scholarships and placement at universities
  • First day registration privileges
  • The Robert "Bob" Elmore Honors College Certificate (this is an articulated agreement with state colleges and universities and entitles you to consideration for transfer scholarships and increases in scholarship amounts)
  • Early BC academic advisement priority
Who are the Campus Honors Coordinators and how do I contact them?

The Honors Coordinators are the faculty members who run the Honors program at the campus level. Please see the Contact Us page for a list of the Coordinators and their contact information.

Honors College Scholarships
Are there BC scholarships for students who have been accepted into The Robert "Bob" Elmore Honors College?

The College offers the The "Irm's" Scholar Award and term scholarships to Honors students. Most students should be eligible for one of these scholarship opportunities. Please see the Scholarships page for more detailed information. In addition, The Robert "Bob" Elmore Honors College offers scholarships for students participating on the Brain Bowl Team.

Are there scholarships available for part-time students?

Due to the generosity of Mr. Robert Elmore, who established the Robert "Bob" Elmore Honors College Scholarship Endowment, some part-time scholarships are now available (pending current deadlines). Please see the Scholarships page for more information.

How do I apply for The Robert "Bob" Elmore Honors College term scholarships?

The College's scholarships are awarded separately for full-time and part-time Honors students each term. Students receiving the "Irm's" Scholar Award will not have to reapply each term, but must meet certain requirements. All other students must fill out a scholarship application every term that they meet the following eligibility requirements:


Full-time students

  • membership in The Robert "Bob" Elmore Honors College
  • enrolled in a minimum of twelve credits
  • enrolled in a minimum of one Honors class
  • minimum 3.5 Overall/Honors GPA
Part-time students
  • membership in The Robert "Bob" Elmore Honors College
  • enrolled in a minimum of six credits and less than twelve credits
  • enrolled in a minimum of one Honors class
  • minimum 3.5 Overall/Honors GPA

Please see the Scholarships page for more detailed information.

When will I know if I have received a scholarship?

Scholarships and awards are generally awarded within two weeks of the posted application deadline. Notification to apply will be posted on the Honors website and via BC email notice at the beginning of each term. The Robert “Bob” Elmore Honors College and/or the BC Scholarships office will notify applications via BC email regarding their award status and the amount of the award. Please note that this may be subject to change without notice.

Am I still eligible for scholarships if I receive financial aid and/or other scholarships or grants?

Having other scholarships/financial aid does not affect your eligibility unless the sum of these funds meets or exceeds the maximum amount of financial assistance allowed per calendar year. This is not generally an issue for most students, but you should check with the Financial Aid office if you receive numerous scholarships.

Are there any scholarships for the summer term?

Presently there are no scholarships available for the summer term.

Honors Courses
How are Honors courses different from regular courses?
Taking Honors classes is one the most significant benefits for honors students. It is usually easy to fit them into your schedule because they are designed to meet the General Education Requirements for AA and AS degrees, especially composition, humanities, and social sciences. Honors courses differ from conventional classes in the following respects:
  • Small, seminar style classes capped at 20 students
  • Motivated students who want to learn
  • Encourages independent thinking and student participation
  • Always includes a 3000 word writing requirement
  • Incorporates stimulating and interesting Honors Projects


How do I register for Honors courses and how do I know which ones are available?
Honors students can register online for Honors Classes in the same way that they register for other classes and they receive the benefit of early registration. It is important to register early so you can get the Honors classes that suit your schedule and your general education requirements.
What grade is required to pass an honors course?
The passing grade for an Honors course is the same as the equivalent non-Honors course. However, you must earn an A or B to receive Honors credit for that course.
Do Honors classes cost more than regular classes?
Honors classes do not have a higher tuition than corresponding non-honors courses.
How many Honors courses must I take to be eligible for Honors College Scholarships?
You must be registered for three Honors credits to be eligible for an Honors College scholarship in a given term.
How many Honors courses must I take to graduate with the Honors certificate?
You must take 15 credits of Honors classes (including the IDH 2121 Honors Course) and maintain a minimum 3.5 Overall/Honors GPA in order to earn The Robert "Bob" Elmore Honors Institute Certificate.
What is IDH 2121?
IDH 2121 is the Honors Interdisciplinary Seminar course. It is the capstone course experience for The Robert "Bob" Elmore Honors College Certificate. Students are encouraged to take it at some point in their last two semesters at BC, as it helps to complete the “Honors experience.” Never take the IDH in your first semester. The courses are offered on all campuses for all three semesters (Fall, Winter, and Summer). Topics are studied from the vantage point of several disciplines and work to understand important contemporary issues.
What are the advantages of the Honors Certificate?
The Robert "Bob" Elmore Honors College Certificate is an articulated achievement of academic distinction recognized by the Florida State University System and also by universities outside of Florida. As such, it is an asset when your application is evaluated for admission and for transfer scholarships. The Certificate is often necessary for admission to the junior year in Honors Colleges and can increase the scholarship amount awarded to you by some state universities.
Graduation & Transfer
How do I get the Honors Certificate?
As mentioned above, to be eligible for this certificate, you must take 15 credits of Honors classes (including the IDH 2121 Honors Course) and have a minimum 3.5 GPA.  You MUST also fill out The Robert "Bob" Elmore Honors Institute Graduation Request & University Preference Form  which may be found on the Online Forms page. Deadlines are posted on the Forms page and on the form itself.
Does the Honors Certificate allow me to transfer directly into the Honors programs at other universities?
Yes, The Robert "Bob" Elmore Honors Institute certificate is important in terms of the transfer to other university honors colleges/programs, however it is important to note that honors colleges/programs at universities also consider your GPA, resume, service and academic records when reviewing your application for admission. At some universities, The Robert "Bob" Elmore Honors Institute certificate can also increase the amount of the scholarship funds you are awarded.
Does The Robert "Bob" Elmore Honors Institute help me get transfer scholarships?
Yes, we are here to help you apply, but we need your cooperation in the following three ways. You must complete these steps in a timely manner and meet all BC and university deadlines. 
  1. You need to attend an Honors Transfer Scholarship Workshop in October/November prior to the year in which you plan to graduate.
  2. You need to apply to the universities where you are interested in transferring.
  3. You need to fill out and return the Graduation Request & University Preference Form. You should submit copies of your university application with this form.
Is it preferable to graduate in the winter (December) or in the spring (May)?
It is important for you to realize that all universities use their scholarship money as recruitment money to attract students to their institutions. Therefore, whether you plan to enroll at the university of your choice in the Fall (August) Term or the Winter (January) Term, you must have your application completed by the spring deadline dates (usually Feb. 1 or March 1) of the year in which you complete your degree at BC. The scholarship money is awarded in April, May and June, depending on the internal process at each University. You can always notify the university of your choice that you will be entering mid-year and your scholarship will be held for you. However, it is very important that you realize that you cannot be awarded transfer scholarship money mid-year; it is assigned at the beginning of the year or once you begin attending the university. For this reason, students who are considering December graduation should research the scholarship opportunities and deadline dates with extra care for January enrollment at their universities of choice.
Student Email
Do I need to sign-on and activate my BC email account?
Yes, it is very important that you activate and use your BC email account. The Robert "Bob" Elmore Honors College is making the transition from postal mailed notices to email notices. Already, notification about term scholarships will only be sent via email. It is also important that you get used to frequently checking your BC college email for notices since all universities conduct their notification in this manner.

Please follow these easy steps to Access your account.
  1. Go to the top right corner of this page and hover over the Login drop down menu, above the search bar.
  2. In the drop down menu you will find your MyBC login, Email Login, and your BC Online - D2L login.
Students have the option of having their BC account forward all incoming mail to their favorite email address (i.e.: Yahoo, AOL,, etc.). You can set this up in your email account options/preferences.
  • Obtain three insurance licenses exam-free
  • Complete your degree in only 24 months
  • Earn your A.S. in Vision Care.
  • Learn More
  • Most Affordable
  • Third Year in a Row
  • Ranked 3rd for Associate Degrees
  • Our Grads Earn More
  • Ranked #2 in the Nation
Broward College​
111 East Las Olas Boulevard
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33301
Phone: 954.201.7350
​ ​
©​ 2019 | Broward College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, gender, national origin, religion, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, genetic information or other legally protected classification in its programs and activities.
​​ View our non-discrimination policies and Title IX policies.​​