AS Dental Hygiene Program
August 2018 Application Criteria:
- Minimum GPA of 2.5.
- Completion of ENC 1101, SPC 1608 or SPC 1024, PSY 2012, SYG 2000, Gen. Ed. Mathematics, Gen. Ed. Humanities, BSC 2085, BSC 2085L BSC 2086, BSC 2086L, MCB 2010, MCB 2010L, HUN 1202 or HUN1201, CHM 1032
- Applicants must have graduated within the last three years from a Dental Assisting program accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation of the ADA, Commission on Dental Accreditation (CODA) listed in the Florida Department of Education database of dental assisting programs
(Transcript required for verification of non Broward college program), and hold (DANB) current national certification as a Dental Assistant (CDA).
- Each dental assisting and general education course must have a
minimum grade of “C”.
- Successful completion of all General Education and college course requirements
prior to submitting the Health Science Application.
- Completion of a Health Science limited access application
Application Period: April 30 through June 29
Admission Selection Criteria:
Admission is based on points. Maximum number of points = 35
GPA of Dental Assisting ATD Maximum 4
4.0 to 3.75 4 points
3.74 to 3.50 3 points
3.49 to 3.00 2 points
2.99 to 2.75 1 point
Grades Earned in General Education Courses
Maximum number of points = 24
Number of points earned for:
Grade A = 3 points
Grade B = 2 points
Grade C = 1 point
Applies to each of the following courses:
BSC 2085 - Anatomy and Physiology I
BSC 2085L - Anatomy and Physiology I Lab
BSC 2086 - Anatomy and Physiology II
BSC 2086L - Anatomy and Physiology II Lab
MCB 2010 - Microbiology
CHM 1032 - Chemistry for Health Sciences
HUN 1202 or HUN 1201 - Essentials of Nutrition and Diet Therapy
Prior Educational Experience Maximum number of points = 2
MA/MS Degree = 2 points
BA/BS Degree = 1 point
Military Service Maximum number of points = 5
5 points will be awarded to US Armed Forces active duty and/or honorably discharged veterans
In the event of a point tie, overall GPA will be used as the tiebreaker.
For the August 2016 Dental Hygiene program, students were admitted who had all general education courses complete and Broward College Cumulative GPAs of 3.37 to 4.0.
Alternates had Broward College Cumulative GPAs of 3.32 to 3.35.
Please note: The admission selection criteria has changed for the August 2017 Dental Hygiene program.
Additional programmatic admissions criteria can be reviewed at Health Science Admissions site.