Admissions Criteria for the AS
Diagnostic Medical Sonography Program
June 2019 Application Criteria:
Minimum overall GPA of 2.5.
Applicant must complete all general education courses before submitting a program application. General education courses include: PHY1001 or RTE2385, MAC1105 3, ENC 1101, SPC1024 or SPC 1608, BSC 2085, BSC 2085L, BSC 2086, BSC 2086L, one Social Science course, and one Humanities course.
Acceptance preference given to students who completed a 2 year Radiography program.
See DMS Website for specific details
November 1, 2018 until March 15, 2019. Program begins in June 2019.
Admission Selection Criteria:
Selection for admission is based on a Point system. Students with the highest points will be admitted first until all seats are filled.
Program Entrance Requirements:
In order to qualify for admissions to the Associate of Science (AS) degree program applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Applicants must fulfill the general requirements for admission to Health Science Programs as listed on the Health Science webpage.
- Applicants who are first-time BC students must complete an application to the College, in addition to completion of a Health Science Limited Access Application. To apply for Admission
to the College, go to the College home page and click on "Apply Now". The Health Science Limited Access application is available to download on the Admissions Page under "Other Admissions" just click on "Health Science Students", then "Step3". It can also be found on the program's website.
- Applicants must submit an official and original document that indicates completion of the course of study under which points have been awarded.
- For all applicants, a minimum of a 2.5 grade point average (GPA) is required. The GPA used will be attained from documentation submitted from a prior two year health science education, associate degree, bachelor's degree or higher education. The GPA should appear on submitted documentation.
- Admission of an applicant is based on the point system seen below.
point preference is given to Radiologic Technologists)
- Applications will be accepted from November 1 until March 15.
Diagnostic Medical Sonography - Admission Requirements
Admission is based on points. Maximum points = 62
Maximum 4 points
|4.0 to 3.75||4|
|3.74 to 3.50||3|
|3.49 to 3.00||2|
|2.99 to 2.50||1|
Grades Earned in Required Prerequisite Courses
Maximum 33 points
|PHY1001 or RTE2385||3||2||1|
|SPC1024 or SPC 1608||3||2||1|
Prior educational points will only be considered for the highest education achieved. Points will NOT be added together for each degree. Radiography program graduates will receive 20 points total for Prior Educational Experience.
Prior Educational Experience
Maximum 20 points
|Radiography AS Degree||20|
|AA/AS Degree from a Health Science Program||17|
Maximum 5 points
|Military Service||5 points will be awarded to US Armed Forces active duty and honorably discharged veterans. ||5|
- Minimum overall GPA of 2.5.
- Acceptance preference given to students who completed a 2 year Radiography program.
- Successful completion of all General Education
and college course requirements
prior to submitting the Health Science Application.
- Completion of a Health Science Limited Access Application
DMS Website for specific details
Requirements for the Associate of Science in Diagnostic Medical Sonography:
- Completion of 77 semester hours with a grade point average of 2.0 or higher.
- Completion of all courses in the degree program with a grade of "C" or higher
For the January 2016 Diagnostic Medical Sonography program, students were admitted who had 17-25 points and GPAs of 2.5 to 4.0. Alternate students had 15 points with GPAs of 2.5 to 4.0
Additional programmatic admissions criteria can be reviewed at Health Science Admissions site.