PRESIDENT J. DAVID ARMSTRONG, JR.
After having the honor of serving Broward College as its president for 11 years, it is now my privilege as president emeritus to work with President Gregory Haile, our Board of Trustees, the executive leadership team, faculty and staff as we continue to build academic excellence and student achievements for which the College is well-known.
For almost 60 years Broward College has offered quality education to the region, with more than one million people taking classes here and over 270,000 earning either a degree or certificate from our institution. Whatever your goal, the College offers a wide range of academic programs and services to help you gain the skills needed and offer you the support to get there.
In addition to our traditional programs, Broward College supports entrepreneurial growth in the region. Our ultimate goal is to prepare students not only for jobs but to create jobs. Through entrepreneurial training and programming such as the Broward College Innovation Hub, our students have the opportunity to transform their ideas into successful businesses while learning the skills necessary to raise capital, manage their businesses, and continue to innovate as their businesses grow.
I am proud of the accomplishments the College has attained during my leadership, including the recognition as one of the top community colleges in the nation, but my greatest passion and joy comes through the success of our students. As a token of my continued support, I have committed $200,000 to two important areas that benefit our students. The first $100,000 was used to launch the new Student Venture Fund through BCEduventures to support the business ideas of our student entrepreneurs. The remaining funds have established "The Armstrong Fund" within the Broward College Foundation for scholarship programs and other worthwhile initiatives at the College.
For the next year, these are two of several initiatives that I will be involved in to add value back to the college. As president emeritus, the key areas of my focus will be:
• Providing advice and consultation services to the BCEduventures Direct Support Organization (DSO) established last year as the revenue-generating, entrepreneurial unit of the College. Already we are generating new revenue for the College and have a business plan to grow in several areas; Providing continued assistance and guidance with the growth and development of the College's International Education Program, through new ventures in multiple locations with a business plan to generate more revenue for the College;
• Providing continued assistance and guidance with the growth and development of the College's International Education Program, through new ventures in multiple locations with a business plan to generate more revenue for the College;
• Provide support and assistance for donor relations and fundraising efforts through the Broward College Foundation;
• Seeking and initiating partnerships in the business community and with not-for-profit, philanthropic organizations that can assist our grants and corporate relations teams to provide value to the College; and
• Working directly with our student Entrepreneurship Program, our Innovation Hub business incubator and accelerator, where my office will be located, mentoring student entrepreneurs, and eventually teaching and coaching entrepreneurship programs and classes.
I am excited to begin this chapter with you and look forward to exploring new and exciting ways in which the College can continue to live out its mission to our students and the community.
J. David Armstrong, Jr.