The Laboratory School utilizes Creative Curriculum for Preschool with Teaching Strategies Gold (TSG). Each classroom teaching team is responsible for weekly planning of classroom activities. Weekly team meetings include lesson planning, classroom activities and goals. Teachers follow the interests of the children to guide in their planning so the learning is relevant as well as developmentally appropriate. A copy of each classroom’s lesson plan is posted on the parent board.
The Creative Curriculum for Preschool is an award-winning curriculum for preschool success. Comprising The Foundation, five research-based volumes that provide the knowledge base of the curriculum, and the Daily Resources, which offer step-by-step guidance in the form of Teaching Guides and additional daily teaching tools, The Creative Curriculum for Preschool is fully aligned with the Head Start Child Development and Early Learning Framework and state early learning standards.
Using exploration and discovery as a way of learning, The Creative Curriculum for Preschool enables children to develop confidence, creativity, and lifelong critical thinking skills.
The Creative Curriculum for Preschool:
- Our curriculum is based on 38 objectives for development and learning, which are fully aligned with the Head Start Child Development and Early Learning Framework as well as early learning standards for every state.
- Our preschool presents knowledge-building volumes and daily practice resources in tandem, giving every educator the “what,” “why” and “how” of early childhood education.
- Our Preschool offers daily opportunities to individualize instruction, helping teachers meet the needs of every type of learner.
- Our preschool addresses all the important areas of learning, from social-emotional and math to technology and the arts, and incorporates them throughout every part of every day.
- Our preschool offers daily, built-in opportunities for observation, helping teachers and administrators clearly see the strong relationship between curriculum and assessment.
- Our preschool offers complete support for working with English- and dual-language learners, including detailed guidance that helps to build teachers’ knowledge about best practices.
- Our preschool contains guidance for working with all learners, including advanced learners and children with disabilities.
VPK/ School Readiness
The Center is an approved Voluntary Pre-Kindergarten (VPK) site, as well as participant with Early Learning Coalition of Broward County and the Children’s Services Council.
Voluntary Prekindergarten Education Program (VPK) is a FREE educational program created to prepare every four-year-old in Florida for kindergarten and build the foundation for their educational success. The VPK program offers each child an opportunity to perform better in school and throughout life by offering quality programs that include developmentally appropriate curricula with a focus on early literacy skills, accountability, manageable class sizes, and increased teacher credentials. All eligible 4 year-olds can participate in a VPK program option. Children aged 4 by September 1 are eligible to attend our VPK program.
The Lab School is contracted with the Early Coalition of Broward County to provide School Readiness subsidized child care.
The Florida School Readiness Program offers financial assistance to low-income families for early education and care so they can become financially self-sufficient and their young children can be successful in school in the future.