Thank you for your service!

It is our privilege to help and work with you in achieving your educational goals. The College is designated as a Military Friendly institution that offers a variety of programs to Veterans, in-service personnel, and dependents of deceased or disabled Veterans.

Have Questions?

We are here to help!



Broward College recognizes and appreciates the important contributions made by active duty, Reserve, and National Guard members. In order to accommodate these students and their dependents, University Policy provides direction to faculty and staff on offering these students the following options to accommodate unexpected training/drill, deployment, or change-of-station orders:

1. For any training/drill, deployment, or change-of-station orders: Students will attempt to decide with instructors to maintain and/or make up classwork as needed and to assign grades as appropriate (including incompletes, to be made up later). Registration for those courses, in which instructors accommodate the absence will remain intact and tuition and mandatory fees will be assessed in full for those courses. Service members should provide instructors with maximum notice of absences, providing copies of training/drill, deployment, and/or change-of-station directives from the Military, Reserve, or National Guard.

2. Instructors must accommodate absences of up to two weeks in duration (or equivalent in Summer) in accordance with paragraph one.

3. When unable to make satisfactory arrangements with all instructors: Courses will be dropped and the tuition and mandatory fees for those courses will be rescinded.

4. When unable to decide with any instructors for unexpected orders requiring longer than a two-week absence: The student’s entire registration for that semester will be withdrawn or cancelled and 100% of the tuition and mandatory fees will be rescinded.

5. In order to have your tuition rescinded, you will need to submit an Academic Standards Petition form.

If you still have questions, please contact us via email: 

Make sure you include your name, student ID, your phone number, with your question and we will get back to you as soon as possible.

If you are able to continue with your coursework while on Active Duty, you must notify the VA Education line as soon as possible at 888-442-4551. You cannot be paid BAH for Active Duty and Education benefits at the same time and you will receive a Debt Letter to pay back any BAH funds that you received while on Active Duty.

Services Offered

If you are a Veteran who is planning to use VA benefits while attending school, you must apply online through the Department of Veterans Affairs online if you are eligible for one of the following benefits:

  • Chapter 33 - Post 9/11
  • Chapter 30 - Montgomery GI Bill® Active Duty (MGIB-AD)
  • Chapter 1606 – Montgomery GI Bill® Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR
  • Chapter 35 – Dependents Education Allowance

If you are a Veteran who will be applying for Chapter 31 – Veteran Readiness & Employment (formerly known as Voc Rehab), or will be applying to transition from Chapter 33 to Chapter 31, the application can be found here:

Out-of-State Tuition Waiver for Veterans & Dependents

In accordance with 38 United States Code § 3679(c), and effective July 1, 2015, Florida Statute 1009.26(13) was established to provide out-of-state tuition and fee waivers to veterans and eligible dependents who attend Florida public, post-secondary institutions and who physically reside within the state of Florida. The Florida Statute, known as the Congressman C.W. “Bill” Young Veteran Tuition Waiver Program, waives out-of-state fees for a person who is:

1. An honorably discharged veteran of the United States Armed Forces, the United States Reserve Forces, or the National Guard who physically resides in this state while enrolled in the institution.


2. An individual who is entitled to and who is using educational assistance provided by the United States Department of Veterans Affairs [this could include veterans who do not have an honorable discharge] for a quarter, semester, or term, and who physically resides in Florida while enrolled in the institution.

If you do not qualify for Florida residency, you may be eligible for an out-of-state tuition waiver for Veterans and Dependents. If you are an honorably discharged veteran, National Guardsman, or Reservist seeking approval for the waiver under category #1, above, you must provide a copy of your DD Form 214 (Member 4) or DD Form 256, indicating your honorable discharge status. If you are a veteran or a veteran dependent (spouse or child) seeking approval under category #2, above, you must provide your VA Certificate of Eligibility, a VA Statement of Benefits, or a Chapter 31, VAF 28-1905 form. Veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces, National Guard, and Reserves, as well as veterans and veteran dependents receiving and using educational assistance form the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs must provide proof of physically residing within the state of Florida while enrolled at Broward College. This may include but is not limited to a copy of a Florida driver’s license, a Florida identification card, or a copy of a lease. Please note the documents do not have a minimum issue date.

*All documents must be dated before the semester start date for the term in which you’re seeking the waiver of out-of-state fees.

This Out-of-State Tuition Waiver for Veterans and Dependents must be submitted each semester by the student.

To access and complete the form for the "Out of State Tuition Waiver for Veterans & Dependents", students should visit the Student Forms page.

Purple Heart Waivers

A state university, a Florida College System institution, a career center operated by a school district under s. 1001.44, or a charter technical career center shall waive tuition for undergraduate college credit programs and career certificate programs for each recipient of a Purple Heart or another combat decoration superior in precedence who:

(a) Is enrolled as a full-time, part-time, or summer-school student in a program that terminates in an associate or a baccalaureate degree, a college credit certificate, or a career certificate;
(b) Is currently, or was at the time of the military action that resulted in the awarding of the Purple Heart or other combat decoration superior in precedence, a resident of this state; and
(c) Submits to the university, institution, or center the DD-214 form issued at the time of separation from service as documentation that the student has received a Purple Heart or another combat decoration superior in precedence. If the DD-214 is not available, other documentation may be acceptable if recognized by the United States Department of Defense or the United States Department of Veterans Affairs as documenting the award.

To access and complete the form for the "Purple Heart Waivers", students should visit the Student Forms page.

Veteran students must provide a copy of their military orders, or the DD-214 form issued at the time of separation from service as documentation that the student has received a Purple Heart, or another combat decoration listed below:

1. Purple Heart
2. Bronze Star (must be “V” designation or device)
3. Distinguished Flying Cross
4. Legion of Merit (must be “V” designation or device)
5. Silver Star
6. Air Force Cross
7. Navy Cross
8. Distinguished Service Cross
9. Medal of Honor

The Admissions office will apply the Purple Heart waiver for tuition after verification that the veteran has received the decoration and is a Florida resident.

All Active Duty Service Members (including Guard and Reserve) must contact their Education Service Officer (ESO) or Education Counselor within your branch of service prior to enrolling in any college or university.

Air Force and Air National Guard - AI Portal

Army and Army Reserve TA

Navy and Marines and Reserves

Coast Guard

Army National Guard

If you have any questions or need to submit TA Vouchers please contact Lisa Datz at

Refund of Tuition and Fees Policy

It is the responsibility of the student to cancel her or his course registration up through the published deadline for 100% refund. Courses dropped prior to the last day of this deadline will not appear on the student’s academic record. After the published deadline for 100% refund, a student may withdraw, or be withdrawn, up to the published last day to withdraw. Published deadlines are listed on the Academic Calendar for Broward College. To receive a 100% refund of tuition and fees, a student must cancel her/his registration on or before the published deadline for 100% refund. See procedure for methods to cancel registration. No refund will be provided for a withdrawal after the published deadline for 100% refund unless otherwise outlined in policy 6Hx2-6.45.

Veterans are encouraged to apply for financial aid in addition to using their GI Bill®.  The requirements for VA benefits and financial aid differ, and can be used at the same time while enrolled.

Work Study

  • Must be in an approved benefit program
  • Enrolled full-time or 3/4 time in a degree, vocational, or professional program
  • Can work on or off campus doing VA related work
  • The Veteran Services Department provides VA tuition coverage based on the VA benefit for which students are entitled.
  • Post 9/11 (Chapter 33) will receive an award for the full amount of tuition. If entitlement is not 100%, the award will be adjusted down when funds are received from VA and the student will owe the balance if there is no other aid awarded.
  • VR&E (Chapter 31) will receive 3rd party coverage (if student is new or awaiting approval for a new year, temporary tuition coverage will be added until confirmation is received from VR&E counselor confirming approval – if the student is not approved, they will owe any balance not covered by other aid).
  • DEA (Chapter 35), MGIB-SR (Chapter 1606), and MGIB-AD (Chapter 30) in some cases will receive temporary tuition coverage because the benefits pay directly to the student. This coverage will be removed after the date when the first payment from the VA is scheduled to be received by the student and a receivable balance will be created, which needs to be paid. If the student has been awarded Financial Aid or other aid that covers their tuition balance, no temporary coverage will be needed.
  • Tuition and fees for Chapter 33 benefits are reported to the VA using the VA’s web-based system. The process begins after the end of the add/drop period for each session for the semesters in which you are registered.
  • For Post 9/11 GI Bill® (Chapter 33) students and Veteran Readiness & Employment (Chapter 31) students, our tuition policy complies with 38 USC 3679(e), which means Post 9/11 and Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment students will not be charged or otherwise penalized due to a delay in VA tuition and fee payments. For eligibility consideration, a Post 9/11 GI Bill® student must submit a VA Certificate of Eligibility (COE) or their authorization number and counselor’s name and email for Veteran Readiness & Employment.

If you have any questions email, please include name, student ID and your phone number in your email.

Broward College is committed to the education of our students concerning student loans. The college offers a financial literacy program, I Grad. In addition to complying with federal regulation requiring all student borrowers to complete entrance and exit loan counseling, financial aid counselors are available to answer any questions students have about borrowing.

Through these efforts, Broward College maintains a cohort default rate below the national average. This rate can be found on the Financial Aid website  (school code- 001500) Any year that the college’s cohort default rate should rise significantly and be above the national average, the college is committed to notify the college community of the current rate, and the efforts the college is making to reduce that rate.

Upcoming Events and Important Dates